Dust exposure and allergens

Dust Exposure and allergens

Managing Dust Exposure and Allergens

It’s a tricky balance to manage dust exposure and your allergens in San Francisco. There are lots of construction sites that create dust that contains molds. Your neighbor may have a dog or cat and the walls between your homes aren’t air tight. Old windows allow pollens to enter.

All of these things can cause chaos in managing your identified allergens.

A site Assessment is the First Step

We can identify where the air instructions are coming in. It may or may not be possible to stop all the air exchanges in building, but often our recommendations can bring real relief.

Testing the Dust For Your Allergens

Your Allergist or other medical professional has analyzed your allergen triggers. We can test the dust in your home or office to see if those same allergens are present. Once you know if your allergen triggers are present, a plan can be made. This plan will help you manage the presence of your allergen triggers.

MARIA dust testing samples for dog and cat dander, rat and mouse urine and feces, and dust mites.

ERMI dust testing samples for mold spores.

Do read more about both tests and confer with your medical team to be sure this testing is appropriate for you.

Fix What is fixable

If you live in a multiple family dwelling, you can’t replace windows and install exhaust fans. It is unlikely that your landlord will do these actions for you, but it never hurts to ask.

Modifications

A true HEPA air purifier can be your best friend.

Eliminate rugs.

Keeps linens clean

Remove clutter.

Have your home, car, or office professionally deep cleaning with green cleaning products. 

Try to follow your medical team’s recommendations. We will also give you building specific recommendations.

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

More To Explore

Keep your apartment healthy
Toxic Mold

Keep Your Apartment Healthy

Keep Your Apartment Healthy by Following These 4 Steps Mold growth is always caused by too much water or humidity in living spaces. Reasons for