Knowing How To Launder Moldy Clothing And Stuffed Animals Will Make Your Remediation Less Expensive.
If there is visible discoloration or mold growth on a cloth item, it should be discarded or professionally cleaned by a mold remediation company.
Follow these simple steps:
- Wash a single load and wash for three complete cycles using the hottest water possible.
- Use regular detergent combined with a small amount of bleach, if appropriate. Bleach does not kill mold – that’s an urban myth.
- After three cycles, wipe down the interior of the washing machine bin with a baby wipe or a Lysol- type of wipe. A damp paper towel will work.
- Dry laundered items.
- During the drying cycle check the lint filter frequently. Clean it out and replace.
- Keep drying until the lint filter can’t collect any more lint.
- Smell the items. If they are moldy smelling, they need to be discarded and replaced. If the items have a high monetary or sentimental value please contact a professional mold remediation company before discarding.
How to save a child’s stuffed animal
- Open a seam (or other) of the fabric and remove all stuffing. Do this work outside on a windy day. You want the mold spores to blow away and not settle in your house or up your nose.
- Throw the stuffing away sealed in a plastic bag.
- Follow the instructions above to wash the fabric covering.
- Restuff with new stuffing and smell.
- If the odor is gone, return the stuffed animal to your child.
Read more about Mold Testing.
Want to read more about the Standard for Mold Removal? IICRC S520.
University of Rochester Children with Asthma More Likely to Have Behavior Difficulties