How to Launder Washable Items that have Settled Mold Spores
If there is visible discoloration or mold growth on a cloth item, it should be discarded or professionally cleaned by a mold remediation company.
- Wash load for three complete cycles.
- Use regular detergent combined with a small amount of bleach.
- Use the highest water possible.
- After three cycles, wipe down the interior of the washing machine bin with a baby wipe or a Lysol- type of wipe.
- Dry laundered items. During the drying cycle check the lint filter frequently. Clean it out and replace. Keep drying until the lint filter can’t collect any more lint.
- Smell the items. If they are moldy smelling, they need to be discarded and replaced. If the items have a high monetary or sentimental value please contact a professional mold remediation company before discarding.
How to Save a Child’s Stuffed Animal
- Open a seam (or other) of the fabric and remove all stuffing. Do this work outside on a windy day. I want the mold spores to blow away and not settle in your house or up your nose.
- Throw the stuffing away sealed in a plastic bag.
- Follow the instructions above to wash the fabric.